Snowdonia Easter Camp

Bright and early on Thursday morning 27 Scouts, Explorers and Leaders from Wild Wolf ESU, the 15th Wood Green and 9th Muswell Hill piled into minibuses and headed off to Snowdonia for four days of mountain adventure.

The camp started with all the Patrols doing their shopping at Sainsbury’s in Shrewsbury, where they stocked up on stir-fry, chilli, pasta and sweets. Lots of sweets.

We were staying at Cornel Scout Centre and had the place to ourselves. On the first evening in camp we pitched the jurte, collected firewood and did some stargazing.


The next morning we were up early to go hiking. The different groups were starting from Idwal Cottage and hiking up onto the Glyders.


One group decided to do something much more adventurous and take a scramble up Bristly Ridge, arriving on the summit of Glyder Fach at the cantilever for lunch.


All three groups met up after their walks at Llyn Idwal where the brave (or the stupid!) went for a swim and we got this excellent group photo. That afternoon we wandered around Betws-Y-Coed and cooked dinner back at camp.


The next day we walked through the foothills to Plas Y Brenin where we did some indoor climbing. The staff at Plas Y Brenin were absolutely amazing – showing everyone how to fit their climbing shoes and getting everyone climbing as quickly as possible. There was bouldering, as well as top roping, for all grades.



We had lunch out in the gorgeous sunshine and walked back to camp via a slightly different route.


That evening we had our three course competition meal. All the Patrols cooked in our Jurte, which worked suprisingly well: the weather was howling outside but with the fire inside it was warm and snugly.

After a couple of wide games everyone settled in for their last night in Wales.

There was a storm due for Sunday morning with 50mph winds forecast to hit at 9am! That’s gale-force territory so everyone had been briefed to get up at dawn and to strike camp before breakfast.

Sure enough, by 6am the canvas was flapping and it was time to get up. Everyone had packed their kit up the night before and everyone did a fantastic job – completely striking camp by 8am. We invaded the campsite hut and had a leisurely breakfast before leaving for the Severn Valley Country Park where we had a very long lunch break. Everyone caused havoc on the playground and enjoyed the sunshine before we completed the drive home.

Here is one last photo of some of the stunning scenery we were hiking through:


Well done to everyone who came. It was a challenging camp on all counts and everyone went away with a few new experiences. Roll on next year!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s